Wednesday, July 20, 2005

UFO Conference, Toronto, September 25th


I have been engaging in a torrid debate on UFO Updates with Eugene Frison and others about the above mentioned conference. As soon as the PR notice about it hit the boards, in they jumped with both feet, with bland, sweeping, negative declarations about how people shouldn't attend because part of the conference will be about Exopolitics, the greatest evil ever to drop down from the skies to affect Ufology.

As is the way with these types of arguments, both sides weren't really hearing what the other was saying.

Their argument, and I stand to be corrected, was that Exo is such a load of negative, harmful rubbish, that there was a danger that the more naive attending might be drawn into it and become ensnared by the evils it proffers.

My argument was, let people make decisions about it themselves, don't try and dictate to people what they should and shouldn't see and hear. Oh, and may be also, support the conference if not positively, then by at least muting the criticism.

I was profoundly disturbed by the reactions.

Nobody was interested in letting others decide for themselves. Canadians weren't interested in encouraging a fellow countryman to stage a conference by at least offering support. No one was interested in extending any personal kindness to anyone. It was all about the evil of Exo and how it should be crushed.

I said a moment ago I was disturbed. It went deeper than that. Sickened and shocked would be a more appropriate terms. These aren't normal human beings. These are arrogant obsessives, desperate to show how right on they all are towards their colleagues. All towing the official party line, but without thought or intelligent comment. Sheep like herd followers, many without an original idea in their heads,

Surrealistically, and somewhat amusingly, in the background to all this, Michael Salla continued to post in a detached manner about this and that, while the argument about his philosophy went on around him.

I've certainly lost debates or run into a brick wall before, but this time the feeling I am left with is very different. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. One can fundamentally disagree with someone's opinion but still respect and like them. Not this time. I've been appalled by the closed minds, the shallowness, the vacuous content of many of the posts, the sheer lack of depth or weight to some of the replies I received. This from people I thought well of before.

So, what to do? Two alternatives. Retire gracefully or, up the tempo one more notch and see who's got the stamina to continue with it. Hmmmmmmm


Stuart Miller

2 Comments:

Blogger Alfred Lehmberg said...

Put the pedal down, Mr. Miller; you have the high ground and I suspect leave behind you what some of these others refuse to even perceive before them. Fascism by any other name smells as sweet, and I'd be so far up a fascist's nose he'd feel my knees on his top lip. No apologies forthcoming from me.

Let's bubble this puppy...

alienview@adelphia.net
www.AlienView.net

Friday, 22 July, 2005  
Blogger Alfred Lehmberg said...

That said ... I won't be back to a computer until Sunday evening...

...No invite from R-cubed vis a vis their new cutting edge ufological activity. I took it pretty hard and... well, I've just got to get away for awhile... live naked in the forest, eat some bark and twigs... you know?

I just hope I can collect myself enough to carry on by Monday. I suspect I will...

alienview@adelphia.net
www.AlienView.net

Friday, 22 July, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home